Responsible Community Living
- The unique community and lifestyle at CVA fosters life-long friendships, respect, confidence, accountability, and independence.
- CVA is a place where every individual matters; a place where the staff helps each student-athlete develop academically, athletically, and emotionally.
- Student-athletes feel like they “fit” at CVA because they are with a group of like-minded students and staff who are open, engaging, welcoming, and committed to the mission of the school.
CVA provides a healthy balance of academics, athletics, and responsible community living. Responsible community living describes our intentional focus on teaching civility and respect, the value of community service and good decision making. We provide intentional opportunities designed to cultivate leadership qualities in each individual with the goals of developing:
- Integrity and respect
- Habits of healthy living
- An understanding of the responsibility we have for ourselves and each other
- Independence and confidence
The CVA staff guides our student-athletes to meet these goals with the following support:
1. Advisor System: The advisor system is the backbone of the CVA community. Each student-athlete has a teacher as an advisor who serves as a mentor. In addition to frequent informal meetings, student-athletes and their advisors meet weekly to deliver the responsible living curriculum and discuss issues. Whenever parents have questions or concerns, they should contact the advisor first as they are aware of the student-athlete’s academic, athletic, and community standing.
2. Health and Wellness Center: CVA’s Wellness Center is staffed to care for your child with the goal of providing the highest level of care, and to work closely with local health care providers in handing illnesses and injuries.
A registered nurse staffs the Wellness Center from 7am until 1pm daily, Monday-Friday. She is also available for telephone consultations at times that are convenient for parents and will make arrangements for the student to see a local doctor, if necessary.
An athletic trainer is on staff and provides pre/post practice treatments, rehabilitation programs, and emergency care. The trainer is also available by phone or radio for all coaches to consult or to manage injury situations.
A professional counselor is available off campus, should the need arise.
Responsible Community Living also includes leadership development; social activities; the ability to engage in community service; and a comprehensive set of community expectations for both day and residential students.