“It’s ‘go’ time. Upgrading our facilities to better attract and serve our world class athletes is a must to keep us competitive.”
- Mike Savage ’86, Alpine Program Director
The new Academic Center will address one of the school’s most pressing needs: to provide appropriate educational space that fosters better teaching and learning. Currently, all of CVA’s academic activities take place in a converted ski lodge. Though modifications have been made, the building can no longer accommodate our needs.
The primary challenges and issues the current academic facility presents, include:
- Classrooms are overcrowded and ill-equipped for modern teaching methods
- The building is not adequately handicap accessible
- The building floods routinely; often in classrooms
- The building is located on a busy state highway
- The building does not provide adequate gathering and group study spaces
- The building is inefficient to heat and operate
To address these concerns and to provide a world class education facility commensurate with our athletic program, we began construction on the new $2.7 million Academic Center in June 2012 and anticipate moving into the building in August 2013.
This 17,000 sq.ft. building will include:
- 10 Classrooms - 7, 995 sq. ft.
- 2 Science Labs - 1,700 sq. ft.
- 1 Art Studio - 700 sq. ft. (including a ceramics studio with potter wheel and kiln)
- 1 Music Room - 570 sq ft. (sound isolated)
For a total of 10, 965 sq. ft. of instructional space
For the purpose of comparison, our current instructional space at the Capricorn consists of:
- Classrooms - 2940 sq.ft.
- Science labs - 1129 sq. ft.
- Art Room - 270 sq. ft.
- Music Room - 550 sq. ft.
For a total of 4,889 sq ft
All instructional spaces will be equipped with state-of-the-art instructional materials, interactive technology, and wireless high speed internet. The building is designed to be energy efficient with radiant heat and energy saving lighting.
In addition to the instructional space, the building will include: two study lounges, locker spaces, a teachers’ room, a conference room, 5 administrative offices, and a 1600 sq ft Great Room.